Boss Advertisement text (2001):
The BOSS XT-2 Xtortion pedal provides a truly original distortion sound for the cutting-edge guitarists of the ’90s. The XT-2 is unique in that its EQ controls, “Contour” and “Punch,” radically alter distortion textures – this box is not subtle! The increased range of the XT-2’s tonal controls make it perfect for creative musicians on the edge – from rock to alternative to metal.
- Totally original distortion sounds
- “Contour” and “Punch” controls for radical sound altering: Contour cuts highs or boosts highs and lows Punch controls the distortion depth and adds a mid boost
- Creates a wide range of distortion tones that are unavailable from other pedals – extremely versatile
Boss Guitar Effects Guide Book vol.14 (1999):
The XT-2 provides a cutting-edge, ’90s distortion sound that can sing as well as grind. The PUNCH control adds a mid range edge, while the unique CONTOUR control cuts highs or boosts highs and lows. The XT-2 is a versatile pedal that lets you get any sound from thrash metal to grunge to hard rock.
Using the XT-2
- For grunge distortion : Set CONTOUR all the way up for driving distortion with boosted highs and lows. Turn up PUNCH for a big mid-range sound. Ideal for grunge or power metal. (Fig. 1: Level 5, Countour 10, Punch 6, Dist 8)
- For a solid rhythm guitar sound : This setting gives you a great British-style rhythm guitar sound. Turn down PUNCH to obtain light distortion with attenuated mid range. Increase CONTOUR slightly to add dynamics. (Fig. 2: Level 5, Countour 6, Punch 3, Dist 4)
- For hard-edged distortion : Turn PUNCH all the way up for powerful mid-range. Set CONTOUR lower to preserve the hard edge. (Fig. 3: Level 5, Countour 4, Punch 10, Dist 6)
- Controls: Level, Contour, Punch, Distortion
- Connectors: Input, Output, AC Adaptor
- Current Draw: 15 mA (DC 9V)
- Recommended AC Adaptor: PSA Series
- Silver – Made In Taiwan
The XT-2 was sold from August 1996 to December 1998.