Since the release of the DSD-2 in 1985, Boss has been working on a sampler in compact pedal format. The DSD-2 offered only 800ms of sampling time, the DD-5 extended this to 2 seconds while the DD-6 pushed the sampling time to 5.2 seconds. Due to this rather limited sampling time none of the earlier pedals gained much popularity when it came to sampling. The RC-2 changes all that by offering as much as 16 minutes of sampling time. The circuitry is very similar to the RC-20XL and the technical specifications are practically identical.
- Store up to 11 loops with as much as 16 minutes total mono sampling time
- Undo/Redo functionality
- Built-in guide-tone drum patterns
- Tap tempo
- Loop Quantize
- Controls: Phrase Level, Guide Level, Phrase Select, Tap Tempo button, 6-way Mode switch
- Connectors: INPUT, OUTPUT, Stop/Tempo, AUX in, AC Adaptor (DC 9V)
- Current Draw: 50mA
- Weight: 400g / 15 oz.
- Nominal Input Level: -20dBu
- Input Impedance: 1MOhm
- Nominal Output Level: -20dBu
- Output Impedance: 1kOhm
- Recommended Load Impedance: 10kOhm or greater
- Recommended AC Adaptor: PSA Series
The RC-2 was sold from July 2006 to present.