HM-3 HYPER Metal
Boss Advertisement text (1998):
The HM-3 is designed for greater gain and a more accurate dynamic response to produce a powerful, hard-edged sound with powerful sustain. More like you’d expect from fully overdriven stacked tube amps. There is independent COLOR MIX controls for high and low frequencies and you can create tones ranging from mild and crunchy to heavy and metallic.
Boss Guitar Effects Guide Book vol.12 (1997):
The HM-3’s internal circuitry is designed for greater gain and accurate dynamic response to produce a powerful, hard edged sound with awesome sustain – just like you’d expect from fully overdriven stacked tube amps. Using independent COLOR MIX controls for high and low frequencies, you can create just about any tone from mild and crunchy to heavy and metallic.
Using the HM-3
- For a contemporary hyper metal sound: This setting gives you a hard metallic distortion and lots of presence. Perfect for solos as well as backing. (Fig. 1: Level 5, Low 8, High 6, Dist 8)
- For thrash metal: Set DIST lower to keep your sound from getting too muddy. The resulting crisp sound with boosted highs is perfect for busting down concrete walls and melting steel alloys. (Fig. 2: Level 5, Low 6, High 8, Dist 2)
- The perfect setting for bluesy solos: For maximum sustain, set DIST to the max and cut HIGH slightly to prevent feed back. This setting lets your guitar solos really sing when playing bluesy stuff. (Fig. 3: Level 5, Low 5, High 4, Dist 10)
- Controls: Level, Color Mix (Low, High), Dist
- Connectors: Input, Output, AC Adaptor
- Current Draw: 12 mA (DC 9V)
- Recommended AC Adaptor: PSA Series
- Silver – Made In Taiwan
The HM-3 was sold from April 1993 to December 1998.