Boss MZ-2 Metalizer
The MZ-2 is a somewhat unusual distortion pedal as it has 3 doubling modes, 2 chorus modes as well as a normal distortion mode. The distortion is produced in an analog circuit while the chorus and delay functions are created using a digital chip. The pedal has 2 main circuit boards where one of them is analog and the other one digital. The MZ-2 has stereo outputs which is unusual for a distortion pedal but makes perfect sense because of the doubling modes.
The MZ-2 has 6 different modes. Straight distortion, distortion/delay (3 modes) and distortion/chorus (2 modes). The MZ-2 remained unchanged throughout its 4 year life time. Production came to an end some time 1991 but the pedal was still marketed for another year.
- Controls: Level, Tone, Drive, 6-way Mode switch
- Connectors: Input, Output A, Output B, AC Adaptor
- Current Draw: 70 mA (DC 9V)
- Weight: 450g/0.99 lbs.
- Input Impedance: 1Mohm
- Equivalent Input Noise: -120 dBm (IHF-A)
- Recommended Load Impedance: 10kOhm or greater
- Recommended AC Adaptor: PSA Series
- Blue – Made In Japan
The MZ-2 was sold from December 1987 to August 1992.